If you’re anything like me, you may find yourself at the mercy of your “hobby of the month”. I have a horrible tendency to latch onto a hobby, find it so incredibly fascinating that I buy all of the necessary equipment and tools and obsess over it for a month, before finding something new and “better”.
In the month of August, this has been the concept of Traveller’s Notebooks, and how I can use them to further my bullet journal productivity.
Now, you’d think that buying the inserts that go inside the notebook would be enough, and perhaps it would be if I weren’t such an impatient person. Given that Amazon deliveries can take weeks to arrive, that definitely doesn’t fulfil my “I need it now” mentality, and so I embarked on a journey to make my own inserts.
Now, before I go any further, I want to clarify: I used templates that I found online, some were free and some cost about $12 AUD, but in saying that, once I downloaded them they can be used many times over without having to be paid for again.
Once I found the templates I wanted and downloaded them, I encountered my first issue: depending on the template you get and the printing instructions included (or in some cases, not included) there are a few things that can go wrong, the biggest one I found was that using a Mac meant I had to spend 30 minutes trying to figure out how to find the print setting for “flip on short side”. After I found that, it was very easy to print and assemble, at least with this template, which includes enough weekly and daily layouts in one file to last a month, and then plain dot grid paper, as well as some basic cover designs which can be printed on card stock if you prefer the covers to be stiffer and more durable, and very clear and concise instructions to do with printing, formatting, and even the binding process.
Once it was printed and folded, I encountered my next problem: I intended to staple it together but my stapler was too short and I couldn’t line it up correctly, so for this time I have left it unbound, but this weekend I plan to go to a store and buy a book-binding awl and use a denim needle and some waxed thread to bind the inserts.
All in all, I have to say, I’m incredibly happy with my very first 2 inserts, they are absolutely not neat, one has jagged edges where I tried to cut through about 30 sheets of paper with old scissors, and the other has 2 binding edges because I printed it incorrectly, so it’s a notebook within a notebook, but they serve their purpose and with a little more practice and the right tools I will be well on my way to making my own TN inserts quickly and easily.
I will keep you posted as I move into using them gradually for my daily spreads in my bullet journal and how they work for me.